Sunday, March 28, 2010

Summer of Flight - Draft 2

...is done like dinner.

Okay, maybe not like a dinner I've made, since I can't cook my way out of a paper bag.

...how about done like a plate of delicious gnocci from DaVino's though? (the best Italian restaurant in the Windsor - Essex Region).

Writing retreats -- oh how I love you.

Yes, I just got back from two nights in London, Ontario.

London -- Cheap, close, and I don't know anyone who lives there. What more could I have asked for? The weather was even dreadful, making me have no desire to go outside. It's like everything was in my favour.

Funny thing -- I wasn't actually intended to finish the second draft this weekend. I wanted to get the mass of niggly edits done, so I could focus another retreat on writing the two new scenes I wanted to add. Apparently, my brain thought that wasn't enough work.

I am not complaining.

I don't actually know my final word count for the weekend, since I know I got rid of a lot of words -- especially some bumf (is that a real word?) at the beginning.

I did up the word count to 76,991 from the first draft tally of 74,325. This still lands it nicely in the YA target of under 80k, which is good.

The scary thing is that now I'll need to let people who aren't my awesome writing partner read it.

Scary. Scary. Scary.

I do think it's to the point where it's not dreadful. At least, I can hope. But the people I'm going to ask likely won't pull any punches if it is. Not that I'd want them to.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

As to the Television Show thing -- the big boss of the company was out of town last week, so not much was happening. Apparently the main topic is over the best target audience (i.e., the 8pm or 10pm crowd). This is one I don't have a clue about, so it should be interesting to see what the verdict is.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, dear. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    And ::laugh:: I'd actually say the reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually get stuff done! And for that, I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliment. It's much appreciated!

    Although I do chuckle since three of my book would probably fit in one of yours. ::laugh::

    I've sent it to my next reader...so we'll see what happens. Kind of scary thinking of someone not Karina reading it.

    ReplyDelete