Friday, March 12, 2010

The "Notes"

I received the written notes today from the development company. I have to admit I liked getting these as it let me view their comments in a more holistic manner than I received from the phone call.

Overall, the comments made very good sense. Key thoughts outside of the ones mentioned the other day included:
  • A need to ante up the tone of the show...apparently I aimed it too young. I wonder if that's because I've spent so much time writing a young adult novel lately?
  • A need to show more about how the characters would interact. It wasn't readily apparent in the episode synopses (synopsises, synopsi?) and the character sketches were individually focused. Kind of obvious in hindsight. I'll be adding a "Team Dynamics" section to address the issue.
  • A need to mention key sub-plots (where I'd just focused on the major theme of each episode).

Overall, I should be able to address their comments fairly easily. Fortunately it wasn't so much about what they didn't like, so much as about what else they wanted me to mention. I figure that's not bad at all, considering how much I am still learning.

Wish me luck for the next draft -- which I'll be doing this weekend.

Oh...and as an added note: you have to love the quick turn around times I've been getting on the review of materials. The desire to be "first out the gate" is really working in my favour at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Jana. Fingers are crossed. If nothing else, it sounds like a great "workshop" in putting together story.

    ReplyDelete