Monday, December 7, 2009

Hawaii Pictures

I thought I'd share some Hawaii pictures, since people have been asking...

1. Waikiki Beach Sunset.

I am always amazed at sunsets over water. I am in awe at the colours -- which can't be captured perfectly in a picture, though I will continue to try. You can see how this was inspiring, right? This was taken on Waikiki Beach across from the Marriott Waikiki (where I spent my last couple of nights).

2. Hilton Lagoon and Ocean with Diamondhead in the Distance.

I was staying a two minute walk from this viewpoint. I could walk along the beach in the mornings, sipping coffee, or be inspired in the afternoon.

3. Pali Lookout (Nu'uanu State Park).

According to the guide posting, Mark Twain once said this was the most beautiful views in the world. I can just imagine what it might have been like when there were no buildings there. This lookout was also the site of the Battle of Nu'uanu Pali in 1795, whereby King Kamehameha united the Hawaiian Islands. Mind you, he did it by forcing 400 of his enemies off the side of a cliff.

4. Giant Clam on a Reef (And a Jellyfish).

Okay, this was taken at the Honolulu Aquarium. Still -- look at that awesome clam.


Okay, I had to sneak in a jellyfish picture. I was so excited to see them. They really are luminescent. It was so cool.


5. Sunset Beach (North Shore).
This is the surf coming in on the North Shore. The foam in the distance reminds me of snow.


6. Surfers on the North Shore.

Yes, I had to take surfing pictures. This is one of my favourites since so many folks are riding the same wave. I have some nice single shots too, including one of a good wipe-out.


7. Byodo-In (Byodo Temple Replica).

You would think I mixed up my pictures, but no. This beautiful Japanese Temple on the Windward Coast of O'ahu is a replica of a 900 year old temple in Japan. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised considering there are so many Japanese, or those of Japanese descent on the islands, but still, it took my breath away. Look at the clouds hanging over the mountain in the background.


8. Palm Trees in Paradise.

Palm trees. Ocean surf. Cliffs. Even a lighthouse in the distance. If you ever look up paradise in the dictionary, there should be a picture of Hawaii.


And there you have it...shots from my writing retreat. I took many more pictures, but these ones are among my favourites. Truly an inspiring place to visit. You can look forward to Writers' House -- Hawaii, if I ever win the lottery.

4 comments:

  1. Truly beautiful. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime. I love taking (and sharing) pictures. It's hard to just pick a few though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need a friendcon in Hawaii... :)

    ReplyDelete