Friday, February 26, 2010

Development Meeting

So.

I had my first Development Meeting.

I have to say that because it was the first -- something to be remembered. From what I've heard, getting a meeting can sometimes be hard. That the meeting was to discuss my ideas for an original TV show? Kind of awesome.

Anyway -- the meeting.

First off, it was over the phone. This was useful, considering people were in several cities, including both LA and Toronto. It was also hard, because I couldn't see the people I was talking to. I couldn't read the visual cues they might have been sending.

Mind you, my friends would argue that I'd have missed them in any event, so not a big loss.

In general, the meeting was basically a long, open discussion. Everyone on the call had different ideas and different thoughts. I had been warned about this in Austin -- but being on the receiving end of it was odd. It was like a weird form of deja vu -- being in a situation I had heard about, but never expected to be in.

One thing I was surprised by -- they kind of deferred to me when it came to the concepts. People asked questions, gave comments, said what they liked, offered open ended questions about where things could go -- but they made a point of saying I would have a lot to think about, and should use what I thought was most right for the story.

In other words, they treated me like a real TV writer, with all the confidence that entails.

Now, I just need to prove that their faith is well-deserved.

So -- next steps. I need to write an extended pitch, similar to the first one I wrote back in the fall. This will be a bit more complex, because of the type of show -- but will follow the same basic premise.

Then, we'll likely have another call. After that -- who knows. I guess we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool and interesting. Thanks for letting us have some insight to the process!

    ReplyDelete