Friday, January 1, 2010

The Year Of Possibility - Recap

Possibility.

It's a word that carries a lot of weight. After the Year of Transformation, I truly did not think I would have another year so momentous, so perfectly reflective of the word we toasted to one year ago today.

Instead, I look back on the year with gratitude -- with a realization that more possibilities unfolded than even I could imagine. Many still await final outcomes -- but that's the joy of possibility. It's the opening of a door labelled "potential". I opened up new possibilities for the future that may take years to reach fruition -- but I will always know that they got there start here.

There was obtaining the Canada Council for the Arts Grant in February -- which opened the door to serious progress on the writing front.

There was taking my dad to Hawaii for a trip of a lifetime.

There was going back to Hawaii for 5 weeks of writing -- a possibility I never would have dreamed of.

There was getting up the courage to go to the Austin Screenwriters Convention -- when I knew not a soul in attendance -- not to mention taking part in my first live pitch contest. I learned more there than I would have in five years otherwise.

There was writing a pitch for a TV show -- when I know next to nothing about TV.

There was finishing my second novel (and the first *hopefully* good one).

There was coming close to finishing my second screenplay (which I plan to finish by Jan 15th).

There was switching jobs at work -- from a focus on the government to a focus on climate change and sustainability.

There was WorldCon in Montreal and Ad Astra here in Toronto (which saw the launch of Ages of Wonder -- containing my story "A Swift Changing Course").

..and I am sure there were many small things even I can't recall right now -- but which may show there significance at some point in time.

Heck, I even started this blog. A year ago, I'd have said you couldn't pay me enough to do this. But you know what? I've enjoyed it.

Sure, I didn't come close to meeting my goals for my three months off -- but that's okay. I still made more progress than I would have in three years otherwise. And as my friends tell me, I put a lot of pressure on myself. I never realised just how much I also needed time to rest, sleep (seriously), and just have fun.

I figure I am coming out of these three months (and this past year) more balanced -- more ready to face life with a smile and challenges with a "Sure, why not?" than ever before.

I am ready for a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment