Friday, January 1, 2010

Dawning of the Year of Discovery

This is the fifth anniversary of a spur of the moment toast on New Year's Eve that has since evolved into a major undertaking. That initial toast -- and every one thereafter -- has become an agent of change in my life. Who knew a single word could act as such a motivator and catalyst for the year to come?

But it does. Every year, the "Named Year" leads my choices, my dreams, and my ability to forge ahead into the unknown. I go places, I try new things, I focus on certain projects -- all because it is "the Year of..." The word gives me courage when I may falter, or question my own decisions.

There is no time to regret because every year I want to live "The Year" to the fullest.

So far, I believe I have.

In the Year of Change, I found a new job. A job tailor made for me. I love the work, I love my boss, I enjoy solving people's problems. Even four years out, I am not bored at all with what I do. Every day brings new challenges and new projects. I also helped run an election campaign that year. I may have worked for politicians throughout school and for two years afterwards (and attended policy conferences and AGMs) -- but there was nothing like working in an election campaign headquarters. It was insane -- and yet great fun at the same time.

In the Year of Opportunity, I visited both of my host families from previous student exchanges. In May of that year, I went to Japan (where I spent 2000-2001 on an exchange at Konan University) -- while in August, I went to Barraba, Australia (where I spent 1996-1997 on a Rotary High School Student Exchange). In December, I went to the Pirates in Paradise Festival in Key West -- where I saw the Green Flash (something I thought fictitious), and learned how cannon are fired. I got to dress up as a pirate, shoot a blunderbuss, and attack a fort -- I learned a lot which will eventually make it into my writing. I crossed the Pacific Ocean twice that year. I saw four (four!) oceans.

In the Year of Transformation, I changed my lifestyle. After realising that an office job did nothing for motivating healthy living, I decided it was better to change now than to try and change in twenty years. I taught myself to eat healthy, to figure out proper portion sizes, and to either pack a lunch or find healthy places to buy foods (because I hate cooking). For months I counted every calorie that went into my mouth, and every minute of exercise. I lost 30 pounds in three months -- showing people if I could do it, anyone can. I learned that it is possible to have a sustainable lifestyle. More important to me, I inspired people at work to transform their own lives. Compared to travel, this was a low-key year -- but it will also be the year I remember as shifting the course of my future health.

In the Year of Possibility, I received a grant to support my writing efforts -- my first grant ever. I took three months off work to write -- time off my company fully supported. I went to Hawaii twice, once with my Dad on a trip of a lifetime. I took a helicopter ride over an active volcano. I wrote a second (better!) novel. I wrote most of a second screenplay. I wrote a TV show pitch. I attended my first screenwriting convention. I even participated in my first CityChase (which was awesome!).

So what does this coming year have in store? I've known for months that this would not be a simple year. I did so much during the Year of Possibility that I have a hard act to follow. What I do know is that having opened up so many possibilities -- the next year could well be one for discovering where these possibilities will lead. Discovering. Discover. Discovery.

The Year of Discovery.

It resonates, doesn't it? It is filled with positive energy -- with the aura of untapped potential. Moreover, it is an action oriented word with millions of interpretations -- from new priorities to to new projects, to new people. Who knows what else? The possibilities are endless.

So here is to 2010 -- The Year of Discovery.

I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. The election thing 4 years ago struck me just now. Aren't campaigns fun? I've done it on a shoestring and I've done it on a relatively-for-us colossal amount of money, and it's always different. Heck, it's always different than what you expect.

    I'll tell ya one thing, though, now that it's been over for a while ... I was expecting to see you on the Other Side up here in St. Paul's last summer. Didn't happen, hee.

    ReplyDelete