Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Writing Retreat Results

There is no better weather for a writing retreat than rain ... and it did.

Constantly.

Fortunately, we were in a nice warm cottage, complete with hot tea (in many flavours) and good food. We also had intermittent internet, which was nice as it let me start this blog.

Overall, the weekend was a success, mostly because my only goal was to relax.

I had no writing goals for this weekend. Following a crazy run up to taking my leave, I expected to need at least a week to recover and transition my brain to fiction from consulting. With Canadian Thanksgiving next weekend, I realised I would not really get into the thick of writing until I got back.

So this wasn't a 12,000 word weekend (which I have done before) -- but I still made some nice, if unexpected, progress.
  • I wrote the opening chapter of Book 2. (3,000 words). This was not in the cards for the weekend, but maybe the fall weather had something to do with it. Fortunately, this chapter won't likely be affected by any edits to Book 1.
  • I wrote three pages of the Summer of Flight screenplay - always good, since I want this drafted before the 20th.
  • On the way home, I had a long conversation with my writing partner about our joint-project. We spent most of the time on character drivers, and continuing to plot out the first few scenes to a greater level of detail. The book concept is really starting to gel - although we have a number of key decisions yet to make. I consider this great progress, since we don't have a defined timeline for getting this done.

Now I am back home (for a few days at least). On Friday I head to Windsor for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment