Friday, October 2, 2009

Title!

I got words written today. The words were all over the map – on three different projects – but they were words. My bet is that this reflects the fact I am still in work brain (i.e., multitasking brain).

The most important breakthrough of the day was defiantly simple though. There I was --sitting, fiddling with a page of writing -- when all of a sudden I got hit in the head by the title of Book 2.

You have to understand. Ever since I realized this could be a series of four books, I have been trying to come up with a title for Book 2 (and Book 3, and Book 4). Nothing I could come up with was good. Nothing resonated when standing next to Summer of Flight.

I wanted to keep with the season theme (at least for the draft titles) but everything I came up with was blah. They all sounded contrived. Until one hit me -- and I fell in love.

The working title of Book 2 is … Shadows of Autumn.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I just know you guys are concocting all kinds of trouble out there in cottageland!

    Jana, the title is nice. If the book goes to publication, naturally your editor will have the final say. Don't let the title search get in the way of writing actual words. Sometimes a title will present itself late in the writing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to say that I'm looking forward to reading about your experience over the next three months. And I'm jealous of you, on your cottage retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! And we are trying! Ruth is a trouble maker.

    And Oh - I know. ::grin:: But I find I like having a name to a story. Something to give it a bit of life, even before I start writing it. If it has a name, it becomes more concrete - more possible.

    I don't have any expectation that (if the book sells - which is a feat all of its own) any of my titles will actually be used, but I figure if it works for me, it's a start.

    And hello Mindy! No need to be jealous...we still need to plan FriendCon.

    ReplyDelete