Friday, February 25, 2011

Done the First Draft of the Pilot!

Done!

I feel like I’ve said nothing of importance for months on here ... oh, right – I haven’t.

But, after several weeks of settling into the new job, I’ve finally started to pick up the pieces of my creativity – and to get back to work on projects that matter! And I’m starting off with a bang.

In two weeks, I’ve:

  • Finished the weird Toronto Story (first envisioned several years ago). Currently, the title is “The Everlasting”. It’s a disturbing little thing that gives me the willies just thinking about it.
  • Finished the first draft of the pilot episode of my television show. It’s a serial drama with a fair bit of action set in modern day Toronto.
Needless to say, the second is the more important. After all, I wanted to write it over Labour Day weekend and then got sick. Then I got swallowed by work.

Now, I have a life again – which is a good thing. After all, it means this weekend I will be able to write again. Gad, three weekends in a row. What a crazy thought!

So, what’s on the plate for this weekend? Well, my brother is itching to read the pilot -- so I plan to print it out and make any immediate edits that come to mind.

Top of the list is a minor fix of sub way station names (Castle Frank -- not Donlands).

Second is consolidating a couple of minor characters to reduce the number of people in the episode. Originally, I kept adding new people – but in hind-sight, several could actually be the same.

Third is to fix any other bits and pieces – general editing of scenes, etc.

Finally, I’ll check the act breaks to make sure they work with my brother’s comments/suggestions.

Once that’s done, I’ll send my brother the first draft. This first pass is just to see if it’s not awful.

Assuming that to be the case, he’ll give it a good review and start making comments. At the same time, I’ll work on the rest of the package (i.e., series outline, character sketches, etc.).

We’ll trade off until everything is good – then he’ll get me feedback from a couple of industry folks. I’ll then do another pass at everything.

From there – well, who knows? I’ll worry about that once I know whether it’s not awful!

Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment