Saturday, August 28, 2010

Writing a Spec Pilot

About two weeks ago, my brother asked me whether I had any ideas for action shows. At the time, I didn't - but I said I would give it some thought.

Low and behold, an idea popped into my head last weekend. With some brainstorming help from my writing partner, I developed an outline for the show.

All well and good -- except that the pilot episode has decided that it wants to be written....right now. No, seriously...right now. If I could take a week off work to write it, it might've been done by now.

Kind of funny since the concept doesn't actually fit my brother's need (episodic action/adventure).

But hey -- I've never actually written a television show episode before (despite making a number of pitches), so why not? It'll be a nice challenge -- and kind of fun.

So yes -- my next project will be the pilot for a television series. Technically, it's my current project, since I've already started it. Today, I developed the episode template, outlined the scenes, and wrote the first scene (i.e., the teaser).

I think "fast and furious" is going to be the way with this script. Barring any unforeseen circumstances -- I will have all three days of the Labour Day weekend to write it. I have a good feeling I'll have a first draft done by the end of it.

We'll see. Note that I'd still need to make the script good after that. ::laugh::

No comments:

Post a Comment