Monday, March 7, 2011

Does it ever get easier?

I mean, seriously. The sheer terror I get when I have to show something I’ve written to another person – it’s kind of crazy. Multiply that panic by a thousand... and that’s the feeling I get when I am writing something entirely new – no matter how much I want to write it.

Take yesterday. I finished my first set of edits on my pilot script.

Brief Aside

One of the outcomes of my three forays at pitching a television show – was the realization that many production companies have no clue what they want. Better to just show them something and let them make a decision based on an actual example (i.e., proof of concept) rather than a pitch. Yes, you need the pitch to get in the door – but offering an example provides a better “visual”.

At the same time, by writing the pilot – I create an example of my own television writing. This gives me more credibility (assuming it’s not awful). So, all in all, a good decision all around.

End Aside

So, back to the pilot. It’s finished and I am now showing it to someone. Fortunately for me, I have a perfect first reader in my brother. He’s been working for a development company for several years. Their current show just got renewed for a second season. He knows what the market wants.

He can give me real feedback on whether it’s any good – and strategic thoughts on how to make it better (assuming it’s not truly awful).

So, why am I nervous?

I wish I knew.

2 comments:

  1. It's *always* nervous-making to send out your work. If people loved your earlier work, you have a reputation to maintain. If they didn't like it, you have to change their minds. And if they don't know you, you're meeting them for the first time.

    Of course, the alternative is never sending anything out, and that's no way to reinvent yourself, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks -- that's a very good point.

    Maybe being nervous isn't a bad thing -- if it means I am always pushing myself.

    And yes, reinvention means being willing to do the stuff that scares me (at least to a degree!)

    ReplyDelete